RC Heli Planet - A Fun & Friendly RC CommunityRC Heli Planet - Important bookmark and cookie info!rcheliplanet.com - WHY WE'VE CHANGED!

Quick Jump - Choose a Popular Section ->Just joined? Why not introduce yourself? Click Here!Electric RC Helicopters!Nitro RC Helicopters!Scale RC Helicopters!Gasser RC Helicopters!Downloads for RC Helicopters!Donate to RC Heli Planet!

Unbiased and enthusiastic supporters of RC Helicopters!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
18-April-2014, 13:10:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!!! If you're new...please read the welcome message. Enjoy RC Heli Planet...
70972 Posts in 6677 Topics by 6209 Members
Latest Member: bigbird73
Click to shrink or expand the header! * Home Help Pages Login Register

WWW.RCHELIPLANET.COM  |  GENERAL ELECTRIC RC HELICOPTER DISCUSSIONS  |  ALIGN T-REX 450  |  Topic: Building inexpensive Trex 450 XL - HELP 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Building inexpensive Trex 450 XL - HELP  (Read 2670 times)
Canelo_Kid

« on: 08-June-2008, 12:24:11 PM »

I Found a Trex 450 kit at a swapmeet already assembled for $50. It was missing all electronic; so as I can afford parts I started collecting a few.

I had a Walkera Headlock Gyro that worked great on my Walkera 35 and the LIPO 2200 15C Battery from the same helicopter. After repeated failure of the tail rotor and expensive crashes I got rid of the Walkera.

I purchased a NEW $90
1 - Align 430XL  3700kv Motor
1 - Align RCE-BL35X ESC - programmable with governor mode
1 - 9pin gear
1 - 11pin gear (recommended for 3700kv motor)
1 - 13pin gear
1 - 15pin gear
1 - Motor Heatsync 

I have all the electronic mounting screws and hardware but still lack servos, radio and transmitter.

My question is keeping in mind I don't have allot of money, what is the best course from here? Also, what radio/receiver/servos are a good value and reliable?

I have also picked up some replacement parts $29.00
Wood main blades
Tail Rotor blades
Horizontal & Vertical stabilisers
Landing Frames
Tail boom brace rods

Everything I have

I need help with recommendations and where to get good deals!

Thanks

CK
PDR

« Reply #1 on: 08-June-2008, 17:05:29 PM »

It's the CCPM version, so if your transmitter can't do CCPM this may be a problem.  Other than that you could well have got yourself a good deal. The only significant snag may be getting the battery to fit inside the canopy - I had to cut a slot in the bottom of the canopy amd make up a "power bulge" to get a modern 2200 pack into my 450X (which is essentially the same airframe). For servos I used Hitek HS65-HBs for the cyclic and a Hitek HS81 for the tail (because I had one to hand, and because the extra weight helped with the CG).

I'd get it checked over by someone who knows T-Rexs to check the state of the linkages etc, and then get some help setting it up.

PDR

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur
Canelo_Kid

« Reply #2 on: 11-June-2008, 11:25:23 AM »

I do have incompatable electronis from another helicopter but no they won't work on the smaller scale 450.

1 Futaba Skysport 6H Radio (new battery)
1 Futaba FP-R127DF Receiver (7 channel)
3 Futaba FP-S14B servos
1 Futaba S3003 servo

I was hoping to make some sort of trade! I will place a classified ad as soon as I get the 10 posts required.

Canelo_Kid

« Reply #3 on: 11-June-2008, 11:34:47 AM »

My main concern as of now is finding used or new radio/receiver and servos. I figured many people are like me and have tons of parts from various projects. The Walkera 35 was my first small scale helicopter and frankly was a POS. The servos were sloppy and not acurate, the tail boom shaft and gears wore out or broke on almost every flight.

I ran into a guy at the park with a Trex and after seeing it up close and watch it fly I knew I had to build one.
harry
Forum Supporter
Global Moderator
Sr. Plus Member

« Reply #4 on: 11-June-2008, 18:10:39 PM »

The state of the art radio technology is obviously 2.4ghz (assuming your in the US)

The option are Futaba 7C ~270US + RX ans HS56 servos ~ 420 US
Spectrum DX6 ~190US +Rx and 3 HS56 servos ~300 US
Specturm DX7 kit with Rx and JR digital micro servos ~370 US

Best deal IMHO would be the DX7 and you get a radio that can serve all your heli needs.

You might find some other "budget" offers that will save you maybe 100US but on the long run the DX7 will pay off ..

/h

What else .. ?!
PDR

« Reply #5 on: 12-June-2008, 04:20:24 AM »

The state of the art radio technology is obviously 2.4ghz (assuming your in the US)

The option are Futaba 7C ~270US + RX ans HS56 servos ~ 420 US
Spectrum DX6 ~190US +Rx and 3 HS56 servos ~300 US
Specturm DX7 kit with Rx and JR digital micro servos ~370 US

Best deal IMHO would be the DX7 and you get a radio that can serve all your heli needs.

You might find some other "budget" offers that will save you maybe 100US but on the long run the DX7 will pay off ..

/h

Or the Multiplex Cockpit Sx (if it's available in the USA) which offers superior functionality for a similar price.

PDR

harry
Forum Supporter
Global Moderator
Sr. Plus Member

« Reply #6 on: 12-June-2008, 07:44:10 AM »

Hi PDR

I know that you like Multiplex. I used a MC 4000 for many years but i have to say that programming a CCPM heli on a Futaba or Spectrum/JR radio is much easier. And i do like the 2.4GHz technology because I don't have to worry anymore about other ppl in the area using the same frequence !!

What else .. ?!
PDR

« Reply #7 on: 12-June-2008, 08:41:35 AM »

Hi PDR

I know that you like Multiplex. I used a MC 4000 for many years but i have to say that programming a CCPM heli on a Futaba or Spectrum/JR radio is much easier. And i do like the 2.4GHz technology because I don't have to worry anymore about other ppl in the area using the same frequence !!

Have you tried it on an Evo or a Cockpit? I ask because whilst I'll admit I had grief when I first tried it (as in the post here) that was down to a stupid mistake on my part - assuming I knew better than the instructions! Aside from that it was extremely easy. I'm not sure about the Profi 'cause I've never tried out the heli setups on one. The cockpit Sx is said to be extremely easy to setup for CCPM use, but again I haven't tried it myself.

I'm reluctant to recommend 2.4GHz gear in the UK/Europe at the moment because there's a reasonable probability that it will be prohibited for RC use later this year (the debate continues). A number of organisations have applied to use the band at quite high power levels for wireless WAN applications, and that would cause huige network congestion problems which would make it unusable for RC anyway (ban or no ban). I understand the USA may have the wireless WAN problem in many states quite soon as well.

PDR

jeasko

If it dont fly i dont want it

Email
« Reply #8 on: 16-June-2008, 03:45:32 AM »

first off the battery you have should fit (all be it very snug) but dont forget to use a band to keep it in place, as for tx if your on a budget the dx series will be out of the question due to price, not sure about the others mentioned, personally on mine i am using the optic 6 which while its not the easiest tx to program or in some peoples eyes a good tx it works well and is reasonably priced (in the uk anyway) there are all the other usual suspects like the Futaba 6exhp which does a good job for little money. just need to look around.

with regards to the servos what ever you do do not go down the align servo route (sorry align) but they are aweful they just drain power and are forever breaking gears or burning out, really need to go for the hs65's (may be a bit more than you want to pay but they are worth it).

as for the RX, in mine i still use the bog standard align rx and have never had a problem with it and being honest its probably the cheapest rx around that fits this bird without a problem

trex 450 xl hde gy401
trex 450 xl hde CF upgrade airframe metal head CSM SL420
Trex 450 se v2  gy401
trex 450 se gy401
trex 500 cf gy401 + 9254
trex 600 esp gy401 + 9257
trex 600 nitro pro os50hyper gy401 + 9257
Gaui ep100 (great fun indoors)
Ylochnessa

Email
« Reply #9 on: 11-June-2009, 01:47:59 AM »

I also used this Multiple. I don't have any problems occur of using it.

Competition Eligible

d_holt@live.com.au
Email
« Reply #10 on: 11-June-2009, 02:21:47 AM »

Seeing how you got the heli cheap why not have a look at www.hobbycity.com and there you'll find heaps of parts to fit and servo's, in fact they have it all, even a full range 2.4 Ghz radio mode 1 or 2 for a crazy $33.00 US.

Raptor 50se fitted throughout with QuickUK Parts
OS Hyper 50
JR770t Gyro
Radix CY CF bades (600mm)
DS8900g tail servo, DS8455 Aileron servo
DS8325 Pitch & Elevator servos
2400mah Ni-Cad pack (Sub C)
F3C Canopy
DX7 - AR7000

HK450 (Trex clone)
4000kv X500 motor
WinForce 3000 lipo 35c
Hitec HC5000 gyro
Hitec HSG-5083MG Tail servo
Some Trex parts
DX7 with AR6100
Modified Tail pushrod (CF)
CopterX metal head & tail
3000 rpm head speed (Idle-up) 13 tooth pinion
CF main and tail blades
Ali landing gear

Once you have flown you will always walk with your head in the clouds, for there you have been and there you long to return.
Pages: [1] Print 
WWW.RCHELIPLANET.COM  |  GENERAL ELECTRIC RC HELICOPTER DISCUSSIONS  |  ALIGN T-REX 450  |  Topic: Building inexpensive Trex 450 XL - HELP « previous next »
Jump to: