RC Heli Planet - A Fun & Friendly RC CommunityRC Heli Planet - Important bookmark and cookie info!rcheliplanet.com - WHY WE'VE CHANGED!

Quick Jump - Choose a Popular Section ->Just joined? Why not introduce yourself? Click Here!Electric RC Helicopters!Nitro RC Helicopters!Scale RC Helicopters!Gasser RC Helicopters!Downloads for RC Helicopters!Donate to RC Heli Planet!

Unbiased and enthusiastic supporters of RC Helicopters!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
16-September-2014, 22:30:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Welcome!!! If you're new...please read the welcome message. Enjoy RC Heli Planet...
70973 Posts in 6678 Topics by 6209 Members
Latest Member: bigbird73
Click to shrink or expand the header! * Home Help Pages Login Register

WWW.RCHELIPLANET.COM  |  ELECTRONICS  |  LIPOS, BATTERIES & CHARGERS  |  Topic: How fast do most charge their batteries 1C, 2C, 3C? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: How fast do most charge their batteries 1C, 2C, 3C?  (Read 9039 times)
Steve B in CO

« on: 08-May-2009, 18:55:14 PM »

I've read in the instructions for at least one charger (the Thunder Power 1010) that if you use a balancer you can charge at a higher rate.  I want to get more serious and buy a new charger with a balancer and some new batteries. So I can recharge at the field and extend my flying time if I have maybe 3 batteries that charge at 2C I should be able to almost have unlimited flying time.  I'll probably be buying some Thunder Power batteries and either an Electrifly Triton EQ or a Thunder Power TP-610C Charger. Both have a with Built-in Balancer.

But I'm really beginning to wonder about the charger claims because I've been looking at battery spec sheets and I don't see any with charging guidelines.  I know that older technology Lipos were not recommended to be charged above 1C.

Just want to get some feedback about what everyone else is doing.
Thanks Steve
jeznewsome

Email
« Reply #1 on: 09-May-2009, 02:44:05 AM »

I seem to remember that someone did some maths once to try to establish the best battery to charger ratio at the field. I think that allowing for both some cooling for the heli motor, cooling for the battery and also some time for others to fly the best ratio came out at 3 batteries and 2 chargers! This assumes charging at 1C.

I know that there are manufacturers that say it is OK to charge at 2C but I know that they all 'say' it will impact the cycle life of the cells.

450SE/500CF/600N/700N + the odd plank or 7
BrockJ
Sr. Plus Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: 09-May-2009, 08:09:00 AM »

Welcome to the forum Steve.

The battery game is a tricky one but the technology has rapidly improved over the last year or two.

It has always been my understanding that if you're charging through the balance plug, you can safely charge at 2C because your charging the cells individually rather than as a mass. The charger / balancer can more closely monitor the individual cell and therefore it doesn't hurt / damage the packs. I have two chargers that charge through the balancers and always use them this way. "Never had a problem"

I also have a couple of the TP1010's and TP610's which charge through the main leads.
When I'm "Renegade Flying" and field charging from the battery in my truck, I quick charge (95%) during the cycles which reduces the time by about 25%.  It's that last 5% that really takes the longest to try and get the packs perfectly balanced in the CV or constant voltage mode.
If your banging packs back to back you really don't notice that much of a difference if you have good batts and don't over extend your flying times. (I fly all my packs 4 minutes)
When I finish flying all the packs for that day I bring the packs home, put them in a nice 1C storage charge and then bring them back up in a normal 1C full balance charge before I go out the next time. I have some packs with well over 100 cycles and they're just as powerful as they were when new. (They're Orange)

New technology = Hyperion is in the process of releasing some packs that are 35C and rated at a 5C charge.
I recieved a couple of the 4S/2200/35C packs a couple of weeks ago for testing and have been charging them in 13 - 16 minutes at 11 amps. The battteries do come off of the charger a little warm but nothing near flying temperatures.
After a day of flying I've been bringing them home and putting them in storage at the normal 1C rate. I have about 20 - 25 flights on each of them and they balance perfectly every time (for now).

And, BTW...  The power delivery rate at 35C is phenomenal on the RAVE

I'm suppose to pick up some of the 3S/2200/35C packs this weekend for testing and I think they'll perform just as well. I've heard they charge in 7 - 9 minutes Smiley

I'm just waiting of the 6S/5500's to get here Thumbs Up

BrockJ
a.k.a. Jim
Quandumphone

Semper Fi

« Reply #3 on: 09-May-2009, 08:32:13 AM »

Sounds like pretty soon, we're going to outgrow either the car battery discharge rate or the wiring.  That's some serious juice flowing for charging.  These lipo batteries are getting pretty good.  I don't usually charge much faster than 1C but I'd feel safe doing so at 2C for the batteries I have.

T-Rex 600CF, NEU 1515H/2.5D
wgeorge111

Email
« Reply #4 on: 09-May-2009, 09:08:05 AM »

I'm just waiting of the 6S/5500's to get here Thumbs Up
Is hyperion going to make a 6S/5500/35c that can charge at 5C ?
leapfrog
Forum Supporter
Global Moderator
Sr. Plus Member

Michael

« Reply #5 on: 09-May-2009, 22:12:20 PM »

Personally, I went the *other* way... I use several chargers and pretty much do things at 1-1.5C... and I use the multi-bat balance taps... so everything gets charged within an hour, and often up to 8 or ten bats at a time.  To each his own.  *smile*

"Never run out of airspeed, altitude, and ideas at the same time..."

"We respect your loyalty but never expect it. Others expect your loyalty but never respect it."

"Have you hugged your heli today?"

Isaiah 40:31
BrockJ
Sr. Plus Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: 10-May-2009, 00:24:49 AM »

The 6s-5500's should be out in a week or two.
I picked up 2 - 6S-2200-35C 5C charge rate packs this morning that I'll hopefully fly tomorrow morning.

BrockJ
a.k.a. Jim
wgeorge111

Email
« Reply #7 on: 12-May-2009, 16:20:34 PM »

The 6s-5500's should be out in a week or two.
I picked up 2 - 6S-2200-35C 5C charge rate packs this morning that I'll hopefully fly tomorrow morning.
Are you aware of any charger that can charge a 6s 5500mah lipo at 5c?
BrockJ
Sr. Plus Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: 12-May-2009, 19:56:09 PM »

At this time I am not. But there was never a need or market for it before now.
I can charge the 4s/2200 @ 10A and the 3s/2200's @ 11A.
The highest my 1010's will go on 6S is 8.25A, That's 1.5C on a 5500mah 6S batt.

Even if it takes a while to get the chargers up to speed they're delivering at a 35C discharge.

There's a sectional charger out there (Maybe a TME?) I'm not sure what it'll deliver.

My main concern is with the smaller 3s / 4s and 6S-2200's for the 500.  That's 3.75C charge rate for the 500 packs. If I can charge them 15 - 18 minutes I'll wait for the 600 packs to finish. Smiley

BrockJ
a.k.a. Jim
Steve B in CO

« Reply #9 on: 12-May-2009, 23:37:15 PM »

Which charger are you using to charge the 4s/2200 @ 10A and the 3s/2200's @ 11A?  I'd definitely be interested in that charger.   Are those hyperion batteries that you can charge at that rate?  Are the 3s/2200s  a similar dimension tho the Thunder Power 3s/2200s?
BrockJ
Sr. Plus Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: 13-May-2009, 00:07:37 AM »

It's an older Thunder Power 1010 with a 210 balancer. It was one of the first high dollar chargers I ever bought and I have two of them. They've always been really tight on charging tolerances and overall, have been very reliable.

They are the Hyperion latest released batts. A guy I fly with is sponsored so i'm flying some of his test packs Thumbs Up They're around the same weight as the Flight Power or Outrage packs. "Never flown Thunder Power batts"
Charge really fast and deliver tons of power (so far)

Hopefully they'll follow with a 25A charger for 6S packs.
A friend of mine has two of the dual chargers and is very happy with them but I don't honestly know what their charge rates are.

BrockJ
a.k.a. Jim
Chad Douglas

Too much invested to crash

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: 13-May-2009, 14:25:19 PM »

I go by capacity.  I have rather large packs  8000mah 5S packs with my T1010 charger at a rate of 5..,  I had heard that you could charge packs 1C for every 1000mah's.., by that logic.., I can charge up my TP8000 packs in less than 30 minutes..,(though I don't like to push it)  My 10S packs are split via leads to the balancer so the rate of charge is 2.5 for a 5350 pack.   BUT I'd always feel better to trickle charge if there's no reason to be in a hurry.  Most of my packs are over 500 dollars so a race to get them ready for another flight is not worth screwing them up.  (but a slow rate of charge can take hours to fill these babies)

I'd say also that having several packs to each bird helps keep the charge rate down... Smiley
Chad Douglas

Too much invested to crash

WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: 13-May-2009, 14:32:06 PM »

Personally, I went the *other* way... I use several chargers and pretty much do things at 1-1.5C... and I use the multi-bat balance taps... so everything gets charged within an hour, and often up to 8 or ten bats at a time.  To each his own.  *smile*

Let's all look at this again.........  THIS is the best way to do it.  Battery life doesn't suffer, safety is ideal and time is acceptable.  Leap politely offers his approach.., I say we should ALL CONSIDER this.., money saved in the long run no doubt!
BrockJ
Sr. Plus Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: 13-May-2009, 19:20:39 PM »

I don't get to fly every day and when I do go fly, I stay most of the day.
I can burn through 25 - 30 batts in a morning.
I run 6 chargers here at the house but only take 4 to the field.

When I'm flying just the 500's I'll take 8 batts. I need to be able to turn those rather quickly to stay in the air. 90% of the time I fly with one other person at a Renegade Field. I'm banging a batt every 6 - 7 minutes.
On a 95% field charge they take roughly 35 - 45 minutes. Without investing in another $1500 worth of 500 batts a faster charge rate is the only solution I see.

I only have $1800 in 600 batts (six). So, if I'm flying the 6's the time compression is even worse. I usually wind up flying a couple of 6s/3300's paired to offset the additional time and cost.

Faster charge and higher delivery rates are the evolution of the lithium batteries in this hobby much like a radio with more channels or a 2.4ghz frequency. Or Electric heli's for that matter.

I'm invested heavily in 1C charge and 25C discharge rate batteries.
I'm not in a position to run out and change everything I have to the 5 / 35's but, as I aquire additional packs and or chargers I think the higher rate stuff is where we will all (eventually) wind up.

*The above comments are strictly my opinion and based solely on my own experiences and needs as a heli pilot. They do not reflect the opinions or stance of this or any other radio station*

We now return you to your reguarly scheduled program.

BrockJ
a.k.a. Jim
jamin_00
Global Moderator
Sr. Plus Member

« Reply #14 on: 14-May-2009, 01:05:01 AM »

I don't get to fly every day and when I do go fly, I stay most of the day.
I can burn through 25 - 30 batts in a morning.
I run 6 chargers here at the house but only take 4 to the field.

When I'm flying just the 500's I'll take 8 batts. I need to be able to turn those rather quickly to stay in the air. 90% of the time I fly with one other person at a Renegade Field. I'm banging a batt every 6 - 7 minutes.
On a 95% field charge they take roughly 35 - 45 minutes. Without investing in another $1500 worth of 500 batts a faster charge rate is the only solution I see.

I only have $1800 in 600 batts (six). So, if I'm flying the 6's the time compression is even worse. I usually wind up flying a couple of 6s/3300's paired to offset the additional time and cost.

Faster charge and higher delivery rates are the evolution of the lithium batteries in this hobby much like a radio with more channels or a 2.4ghz frequency. Or Electric heli's for that matter.

I'm invested heavily in 1C charge and 25C discharge rate batteries.
I'm not in a position to run out and change everything I have to the 5 / 35's but, as I aquire additional packs and or chargers I think the higher rate stuff is where we will all (eventually) wind up.

*The above comments are strictly my opinion and based solely on my own experiences and needs as a heli pilot. They do not reflect the opinions or stance of this or any other radio station*

We now return you to your reguarly scheduled program.

I think you should consider a nitro Grin

Avant E Aurora FBL - JR Vibe SG E12 - Logo 500 FBL - Logo 600SE FBL - MSH Protos 500 FBL - Outrage Fusion 50E FBL - Srimok 90E Cyber - Trex 600E in a Russian Mi-24 Hind build starting v soon (soon, who am I kidding)
http://www.youtube.com/user/jaminR6

Purfleet Model Heli Club An international club with members from both sides off the pond Thumbs Up
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
WWW.RCHELIPLANET.COM  |  ELECTRONICS  |  LIPOS, BATTERIES & CHARGERS  |  Topic: How fast do most charge their batteries 1C, 2C, 3C? « previous next »
Jump to: